First aid kit is a very essential and important thing for both human and animals. Because it is a good idea to be prepared for any kind of emergencies. Especially, when you have a cat you must keep a cat First Aid Kit to conquer any emergencies.
When your cat faces a medical emergency at home that time is very critical. It is very important to get the cat to a vet. But before you get the cat to a vet, a first aid kit could come in pretty convenient.
You should know who to use a first aid kit and what is the importance of the first aid kit for pets.
My recommendation is to purchase this Cat First Aid (Be Red Cross Ready Safety) book which gives you a clear idea about how to recognize any emergencies and what to do at that time.
If possible then buy a ready-made first aid kit for your cat. This will save your time and everything is arranged in a proper way. I found this Pet First Aid Kit (16 Pieces) where every emergency supplies are available.
You can also make your own First Aid Kit box very easily. We designed a complete cat first aid kit for you. Here we give you the list of supplies to add your kit and essential suggestion.Here’s the list of emergency supplies for cats to add to your first aid box or bag .
Collect Important Phone Numbers and Papers
- Personal vet phone number.
- Emergency clinic phone number and directions to the clinic
- Veterinary clinic phone number and directions to the clinic
- local Emergency After-hours hospital phone number and directions
- Poison control center phone numbers and directions
- Photocopies of previous medical records.
- Identification details for your cat, like breed, physiognomy, sex, and any kind of health concerns.
N.B. Always putting these documents into a zip-lock waterproof bag.
- Square gauze in all size
- Both adhesive types and paper types first aid tape
- Bandage or gauze rolls
- Non-stick pads or Telfa pads
Equipment And Supplies
- Magnifying glass
- Disposable gloves
- Nail Trimmers
- Cotton swabs
- Cotton balls
- Rectal thermometer
- Ear cleanser
- Eye cleanser and dropper
- Benadryl (Good for allergic reactions.)
- Instant cold and heat packs
- Baby wipes
- Towel or Blanket
- Pet carrier
- Food and water
- Re-hydrating solution like Pedialyte or Gatorade will hydrate your cat.
- Nutritional supplement like Vitacal, or Nutristat, Nutri-Cal,
- High sugar source such as Karo syrup.
- Triple antibiotic ointment for skin such as Neosporin or Neosporin is fine
- Antibiotic ophthalmic ointment for eyes such as Terramycin
- Nutritional supplement. (we always use the best, such as Nutri-Cal, Vitacal and Nutristat.)
- Eye wash solution ( we use these eye wash for our cat)
- Ear cleaning solution
- pain killer
- anti-diarrheal medicine
- Rubbing Alcohol
- Styptic powder , to to stop bleeding during nail trims
- Cortisone cream or spray , to stop itching or allergic reactions.
- Hydrogen peroxide (When a cat eat something poisonous then Hydrogen peroxide used to make him vomit. Before use consult with your vet)
N.B. Check the expiration dates of the medicines and replace the expired medicine as needed.
After collecting all first aid supplies, you’ll need a plastic box to place them in. The box can be sealed well and waterproof. Even you can use a plastic fishing box because plastic fishing box has lots of chambers to store things in.
Must Read: Symptoms of cat’s sickness.
Always keep your first aid kit organized, neat and clean. Because time is very important in the emergency situation.
Our list includes the most basic element for your cat’s first aid kit. You can also add or exclude any items to your first aid kit.
- Always replacing the used and expired items.
- Keep the box in an accessible place.
- Know The Importance of Having a Pet First Aid Kit